Tuesday, January 6, 2015

At the Water's Edge - Sara Gruen



I absolutely loved this book. I will admit that the first few chapters started a bit slow for me, but then it picked up the pace very quickly. Maddie, the main character, is a wealthy American housewife and newlywed in a loveless marriage. She has an overbearing,  controlling, and at times verbally abusive husband. Her husband and his best friend Hank drag her across the country to Scotland right during the middle of World War II on a wild goose chase to find the Loch Ness monster, which they are convinced is real and will make them rich and famous. The historical setting and rich descriptive detail of the Scottish Highlands are key for such a beautiful story. I would highly suggest reading it, because I can't give away the spoilers. The book reminded me a little bit of Sara's other bestseller, Water for Elephants, as well as Diana Gabaldon's Outlander series (minus the sci-fi time portals and all of that).

The book will be published on March 31, 2015.

No comments:

Post a Comment