Monday, December 8, 2014

If We Survive by Andrew Klavan




I normally do not read much YA (even though I am a K-12 Librarian and should read much more of it). However, I heard about this book at the last library conference that I attended. This book is on the 2015 Elliot Rosewater Award nominee list (which is an Indiana state book award). After reading the blurb, I decided to give it a try. I am really glad I did. The book was action packed from beginning to end. It reminded me of a younger version of a James Rollins (my fav author) adventure novel. There weren't any adult themes, and the language was very mild. However, the author did a great job of keeping readers on the edge of their toes with building suspense. I can certainly see why this book was chosen as a nominee for the Rosie awards. The short synopsis is that a group of 4 missionary kids and a young pastor are in Central American ready to fly back home when a revolution begins and they are captured by rebel leaders. The group, along with their pilot (who happens to be an ex Marine) are on the run from the rebels, as well as the government. They go through many trials and near death misses in order to get out of Santiago and closer to safety and civilization. This is a page turner! I would highly recommend it.

No comments:

Post a Comment