Monday, April 6, 2015

The Attachments by Rainbow Rowell



I picked up this book because I'm giving my HS students an April Reading Challenge, and naturally, I'm taking it too. This book fits the category of "A book a friend recommended." I'm really glad I decided to give it a try. It was a quirky, cute romantic comedy sort of book. At its center is Lincoln, a young man in his late 20's who still lives with his mother and plays Dungeons & Dragons with friends occasionally. Otherwise, his social life is a bit dull. His "security" job in IT at a large newspaper forces him to read interoffice emails and items that are caught in web filters. While doing so, he catches some extremely personal back and forth emails between two women named Jennifer and Beth. He finds himself unable to turn them in or warn them of company policy of sending personal emails because he genuinely likes them. Instead he begins to look forward to their daily banter, no matter how personal, hilarious, or serious at times. He starts to wish he actually knew them, especially Beth, who is in a relationship, but seems to be very lonely like himself. Meanwhile, Beth & Jennifer start talking about a "very cute guy" at work and wishing they knew who he was, etc. Could it be Lincoln?

This is a light read, with not too much harsh language and the romance is very PG. I really enjoyed Rainbow Rowell's writing style. Thanks for recommending this one, Cameron. I'm glad to have read it!

No comments:

Post a Comment