Sunday, April 19, 2015

We Were Liars by E. Lockhart

Image result for we were liars

I've heard a lot about this popular YA book and I've been meaning to read it for some time. This past week, one of my students checked it out from the public library and put it on my desk with a demand to "read it!" So, I did. And, I am pleased. It was a beautifully written story spanning 3 (what should have been) idyllic summers with the Sinclair family, as they spent time on their own private island wanting of nothing. However, money doesn't buy happiness, as they say. The book is surrounded by mystery as the reader follows the main character, Cadence or Cady, as she tries to remember what happened during the summer she was 15 that caused her to have such terrible migraine headaches. She remembers small details, but can't quite put together the whole story, and no one will answer her questions or tell her what happened, because they don't want to upset her. By the end the book, I was glad to finally figure out what happened, but it was definitely not what I expected. It's a quick read, and I would recommend it to my HS kids. I've ordered a copy for our school library.

No comments:

Post a Comment